Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My mom called with good news….

Its great news for the current situation my family is in…. “The doctor removed everything they had hoped to and the surgery went great… everything is good…”

This past weekend I got call about my Nina/Tia (godmother, my mom’s sister), her doctors had found some breast calcifications…a few clusters. I was told that the clusters found were cancerous and that this Wednesday (Today) she would have surgery to have the clusters removed. Once the clusters have been removed she would start one round radiation therapy to be on the safe side. I was told that she is basically at stage 0 of breast cancer….0??? That means what? Well that they found it in time, any more time that would have past she would be at any one of the 4 stages of breast cancer. When my grandmother was diagnosed in 2000 she was in stage 4, was given a few months to live and started treatment right away and had lived a few more years before she past away in 2003.

Well first thought that came to mind was “What?!?!?…Why?!?!...Another family member within 8 months!!! Mind you it’s scary to have a person in your family die from cancer but to now have two more members of your family with cancer. I have talked about it before in October when I did the Breast Cancer walk in Temecula; my Tia’s who are dealing, living and fighting breast cancer. These women are close to my heart, they are my mom’s sisters, my Tia’s (aunts) and special people with big hearts.

So I am writing this post more as a venting session for myself and for my girlfriends that read this…make sure you get checked out…push the women in your family to get checked and donate to whatever breast cancer cause you feel most comfortable with to help raise awareness and research. October is breast cancer month but women who have breast cancer don’t have it for just one month, and families don’t have breast cancer as a member of their family for a month so don’t just think about it the month of October…think about it every month because I know I do every time I think about my family.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

My mom had the exact same thing, her form was DCIS and it was stage 0 too. Both my grandmas also had, and survived, breast cancer. It is such a scary thing. I'm glad she'll be ok!